Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Myre-Big Island State Park, Albert Lea MN

October 19-22.  Highs in the 60s,70s.  Lows in 30-50.

We arrived without any problems.  The office was closed, so we unhooked the toad and drove around to pick a spot.  We rejected all the spots in the first loop and headed for the second loop.   That loop had nice lake views, but we didn't think we could fit in the available spots.    So we headed back to the first loop, where we realized we made a mistake in our first evaluation.   We rejected some spots because they were too close to other spots.  But...there's no one else here.  Duh.  So the spots are lovely.  Lots of fall foliage and marshland.

The next morning after checking out the forecast, I picked leaving after 8 nights so we'd be traveling on a low (relatively) wind day.    Then I headed out with the dogs for a hike while Missy went and got us registered.   The trails are just lovely.   Too bad there's endless loud noise from nearby 35.

Oct 21.  Missy and I spent a couple of hours using Good Sams trip planner and review sites to come up with the next 3 stops on our way to FL.   Then we took a break and I checked the weather again.   Grrrr!   Now my lovely travel day has forecast of strong headwinds and passing thunderstorms.   After looking at the 10 day, the only low wind day was the next day.   So I called the state park office to see if we could get a refund.  I had to leave a message, but luckily the ranger called back and said we could get the refund.   So now we're heading to Iowa tomorrow to a highly reviewed county park.   We'll probably stay there for a few days.  Again, we'll play it by ear to see when the weather will be best to continue on.

Missy took the dogs on a walk.  Since no one is around, they got to be off leash.  Lucky pooches!   I got out and did the bike trail.  I had thought it would be all paved, but abut half was on gravel or grass.   Luckily the trails are very nicely maintained so it was a fun ride.

That's about it.  Happy, Jeremiah?






1 comment:

  1. Yes thanks. I'm happy with just location and some pictures, but I like the dets to.

    ReplyDelete