Friday, October 23, 2015

FW Kent Park, Oxford, IA.

October 22, 2015

We dumped tanks and stopped for gas at the Flying J and were underway by 10.   Due to arrive in Iowa at 1:15.   It was a smooth ride with almost no traffic.   Mia and Oscar actually snarlpussed while en route.   How awesome are my aminals?  (answer: sooooooo awesome).  

We hit a snag about 4 miles from the campground.   At a 4 way stop, I was concentrating on traffic and didn't notice that the GPS actually wanted me to take a left.  Sigh.  I had thought the RV unit was sophisticated enough to give a dingdong when you have to make a turn to stay on the same highway.   But I guess not.  Luckily we routed through a nice neighborhood with wide side streets and got straightened out.

This campground is amazing!   It's run by the county.  Has about 90 spots with 50amp and free wifi. Only $20/night.   And it's prettier then a lot of state parks.    It's all first come first served.  With only about 5 others here, we have our pick.   We backed into one spot and then hopped in the toad.   I decided we should stay at the top of a steep hill and take advantage of the empty park and stunning fall leaves.   This is definitely one of the best views we've had in this camper.  

Missy was concerned about being able to get level.  We backed into our 2nd spot, but I didn't like the tree blocking the view in the front, so we moved to our 3rd spot.   Then we spent quite a bit of time trying to get level from left to right.   We got as good as we could and still had quite a lean.   I said it was livable because of the great views.  

I hooked Mia up and headed for a walk.   Just a short hike to a hidden path that led to the lake in the valley.  Man, the fall colors were premium.  The lake was like glass, so it mirrored the bright orange, yellow and red trees.  The walk around the lake was neat, because this park had saved and installed a bunch of old trellis bridges.  Love it here!

October 23.

Well.   Turns out sleeping unlevel is not fun.   When I had the dogs out for their morning constitutional, I happened to notice that our parking pad was more level than we thought.   We had just stupidly parked to far to the left, where it started sloping down.  Sigh.   So when Missy got up, we moved it over to the right and now it's perfect.

Went for a walk with the dogs before the forecasted rain.   Lovely path, and we got to let the dogs off leash.  We made it back to the rig just before the rain.  I'll have to keep an eye on the weather.  I'm hoping we can be here a week before the cold drives us on.

Oh.  This morning I got to watch three GIANT swarms of swallows migrate past.   20-30 seconds long of undulating, swirling, swooshing bird swarms.   Amazing!  

Hooray!  Finally have a cat in my dash!



Focus on the lovely view and not the stupid unlevel side we picked.


2 comments: