Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Moving Day, aka, We got Frickin Lucky Day

November 12-13, 2012

After having access to the internet,  I researched more closely into the expected weather of our chosen forest campsite.   Previously, I’d looked up the weather for Ducor, CA, since that had been listed on a campground review as being the closest city.    I was pleased with the upcoming sunny and warm weather.    However, when I realized that the forecast for the elevation of 6000 feet was 5-10 degrees better than the forecast for Kernville, 2000 feet…I got concerned.    So I googled the elevation of Ducor: 200 feet.    Shit.   It seems that technically it is kind of close to our campground.   Just much lower down.    After some digging, I finally was able to get an accurate forecast.    It was for lower to mid 50s in the day and 20s in the night.   Brrr.    Now, I might have still gone for it; but I’ve been anxious about getting caught up the mountain in a freak snow storm.    So we agreed to forego that lovely spot in favor of our other boondocking find, which is both warmer and closer to town.   Funnily enough…when we were driving to our “Clearing Campground”, there was a sign up saying the road was closed at Johnsonville.   This meant that we could NOT have gone to the forest campground after all.   I guess the light snow we’d enjoyed the past few days had dumped significant inches of snow up the mountain.

We did some café internet until noonish, and then we headed back to ripoff RV to load up and pull out.   I was starting to get nervous.   I was scared we wouldn’t clear the powerlines.   And Missy was nervous too; her concern was making the turnaround.   Funny, because neither of us was worried about the other’s concern.    As it turned out…we were both foolish to have not considered the true potential for boondoggle.    (I’d love to end on a dramatic cliffhanger here….)

So the forest service road up the mountain went pretty much the straight opposite of the way we were driving.   Since the highway is next to the river, I’ll go ahead and use upstream and downstream to describe.    There was a large pullout on the side of the highway at the start of the Forest Service Road.   Heading upstream, I  pulled over into that spot and Missy hopped out.   She was going to hike up to the campsite to make sure it was unoccupied and that the route was still clear.    I continued on the highway upstream for about 5 miles to a big parking lot where I could turnaround and head back downstream.    I was extremely nervous about heading to the campsite.   I figured our chances for getting stuck or for disaster were 30%.     And the exit strategy was almost non-existent.   We’d either have to back up blind downhill onto a main highway…or leave the rig permanently on the dirt road.  Missy got back in the car, reported all was clear, and we headed up the steep mountainside road.  (Note: we were in 4WD).

When we previously scouted this drive (twice), we both carefully considered the turnaround and the steep curbside/drop down driveway into the campsite.    We had neglected to consider the one heinous ‘S’ turn in the road, nor the approach to the turnaround.    Sigh.   The turnaround is shaped like an AIDS ribbon.   You drive up one leg, go into a loop-di-loop and head up the mountain on the other leg.    This arrangement is how to handle the switchback.    As it turns out, the transition from the narrow forest service road into the loop was un-makeable.   I pulled forward and soon was brushing up against the rock sides with the passenger side wheels of the RV.   We needed to pull straight for about 20 feet before turning the wheel sharply to the right to get into the loop.   But, the opposing bank was only 15 feet away.    We decided to try anyway.    Inch by agonizing inch, we shifted forward and back and forward to try to gain clearance from the rocks.    Missy left her spot in front of the truck to go watch for clearance at the RV wheel.    I snuck forward as far as we could and then turned the wheel.   I didn’t think we’d made enough space, but there was nothing left to try.    So I gunned it….spun the wheels in soft sand(or so I thought)….gunned it harder….and we made it!   Juuuuuuust enough clearance to get into the loop!    As I turned to the right, I was shocked when I felt the truck plummeting a few feet to the ground.    Oops!    It turns out there was a large boulder in the front of the truck.   I couldn’t see it from the truck.   Missy had assumed I could see it, and would know to avoid it.   Nope.   I ended up driving right over that sucker.    If I’d known it was there, we never would have made it into the loop because I would certainly have nixed driving over it.    Fool-hardy and lucky for once!    I guess the universe is paying us back for all the tire troubles we’ve had.

The outer edge of the loop is comprised of mostly deep soft sand.   Of course, the outer edge is where we needed to be to clear the rv around.   Luckily, 4WD worked great.   And as I’d told Missy, backing up as needed worked perfectly.   That was part of the RV driving lesson I remembered from Jeremiah: don’t be afraid to back up to gain clearance in turns.  You’d be surprised how much more room you’ll gain then you think is possible.    When we headed up the mountainside, we both let out big sighs of relief.   We’d gotten sooooo lucky!    We did have an issue with the bad S turn.   I slowed down to a snail’s pace and had Missy get out and watch.   She said that a piece of paper wouldn’t even fit between our tire and the rock.   Phew!

We got to the “driveway” of our new home and it was touch and go getting in.    There was a big curb leading into quite a drop-off.  We did not make it without some major scraping.   But no permanent damage done.    Missy thinks the RV was almost going to tip over, but as the driver, I never felt that things were unsafe.    Once on the driveway, Missy climbed up onto the roof of the RV while I drove under the powerline.    Luckily, we cleared it just fine!    We parked the rig and then both needed some time to recover from this adrenaline-filled adventure.

Tuesday:   Lazy/recovery day today.   The only thing we accomplished other than relaxing was cleaning all the windows to maximize on the amazing views.

No comments:

Post a Comment