Monday, September 10, 2012

Temperance River State Park


September 8-9, 2012

Saturday:  We got quite chilly last night.  Even though I think the inside temps didn’t dip below 50, for some reason both of us were really freezing last night.   Missy eventually got up and put on a hat.   I soldiered through.    The morning was nice; partly cloudy.   We decided that Missy would do a morning hike with Cassie, and I’d bike in the afternoon.   Tomorrow we’d swap activities.    We checked out the park maps and picked the Carlton Peak hike.   Since we weren’t sure how long the round-trip would take, I drove Missy and Cassie to a trailhead parking up by Carlton Peak for her to hike back down to camp.   There was some kind of running race going on, so the parking lot was completely full.   As I drove away, there were a few pockets of light rain.  By the time I got back to camp, a rain system had moved in to stay.   I moved some stuff out of the doorway to the garage, because we can’t close that ramp.
It ended up raining for almost an hour.   Poor Missy had a rough hike.   Turns out the race was a super-marathon (100 miles).   She said she passed hundreds of racers (who all looked miserable in the rain) and there was never a let up in the stream of runners to pass.   The bummer part was that since this was a narrow section of the Superior Hiking Trail, there wasn’t room for 2 people to pass each other on the trail. One person had to step to the side.   And Missy felt obligated to be the step-asider each time.   Which wouldn’t have been a big deal if she didn’t have to manhandle Cassie to the side each time too.  (Cassie has no time for trail etiquette or niceties).  Since it was staying in the 50s with winds of 10-15, I decided to try out the furnace to warm up the rig for Missy.   I recently read in the rv manual that you’re not supposed to cover any of the vents.   So I removed the duct tape from the 2 vents in the main living area.   Let’s see if this fixes the issue.
The skies cleared up around 6, so I went for a bike ride.   My hands got a bit chilly (due to my supersonic speeds, of course).  Need to remember to bring gloves and a warm hat for just in case.  The GG trail does go north for about 5 miles.  Some of it is nice, and some of it is right on Hwy 61.   Trying not to compare with the scenery in CO.
Chilly again overnight.   Furnace worked nicely.   Cautious hurrahs.

Sunday:  It was pretty windy today, but with the wind came the return of the waves!   We spent quite a bit of time down at the lakeshore watching the waves on the rocks.  Strangely, Buddy and Cassie didn’t see the allure of sitting on rocks, far away from the squirrel homes (trees).   Tough luck, puppies.
Mid-morning I went to take a picture of the neato giant bird’s nest.   On the way back, I ventured over the foot bridge which connects the upper campground to the lower campground.  The bridge is over the Temperance River.   I looked down and saw a huge school of fish.   They were swimming upstream in the river.  They were in a pool, but right above a small pourover so they were fighting the current.   The fish were big, about the size of salmon.   Since both Missy and I like to watch fish swimming, I ran back to camp to tell her to come and see.   I am so happy I spotted them, because now I am WAY ahead in the nature spotting contest!   (I’m counting each of the 100 fish).   I’ve already seen a nosediving osprey catch a fish in Lake Superior.   And of course, there’s my nest.    Missy just has her bald eagle.  Missy sat and watched with me for about 20 minutes and then headed home.  I stayed another 10 minutes or so, until the fish left.   It was a split second change.  One second they were there, the next they were gone.  No stragglers, or heading off a couple at a time.   Very cool beans.
Tomorrow we’re raising anchor and moving on.   We’re going to try our luck at a National Forest Campground on Bearskin Lake, which is about 20 minutes inland from Grand Marais on the Gunflint Trail.   Not sure if we’ll get any reception at camp.  So we might be out of contact for large chunks of time...

No comments:

Post a Comment