Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend


May 27-28, 2012
Sunday was cold and windy.   We woke up and it was 36 degrees inside the rig.   The furnace died again from (presumably) a low battery.   But, we weren’t all that cold overnight.   It was tough to hang out outside with the cold and the wind.   We didn’t want to start a fire because it seemed dangerous in these conditions.  

Our little area of the world was busy this weekend.   Lots and lots of people camping and partying and ATVing.   It wasn’t a big deal, though, because we hunkered inside for the most part anyway.   I was disturbed by the loud music and party that went until after 2 am.   However, all the extra kids and vehicles packed up and cleared out by 9:30, so we got our private clearing again.

Monday was GLORIOUS!    Halleluiah!  What a difference not having wind makes on one’s psyche.  We decided to do another hike up the cliffs.   (BTW, I took the GPS with me on the last hike up and we determined from the elevations that it’s about 220 ft up).  Missy went first so I could try to take pictures of her from down below.  Then I hiked up and joined her.   It’s really fun rock climbing and it’s neat to spend time up high and enjoy the view.   Missy went back down after 20 minutes.   I stayed up and relaxed and zoned out and read a little.    I didn’t want to come back down ever.

The rest of the day was spent enjoying the warm, sunny, non-windy day.   I got to spy a little bit of nature.   On one of the first days here, I made a comment to Missy about how I was constantly scanning the cliff ridgeline in the hopes that some wildlife would appear.  Like a bear or mountain lion.   Yesterday at dusk I finally spotted some movement.  2 deer approached the very edge of the cliff!   It was only deer, but it was very exciting!    I’m not sure why there were there, since it’s barren rocks at that point.  My best guess was that they were trying to figure out a way down to the river?   It was pretty cool to see them up there on the edge (in a spot we’d been).

No comments:

Post a Comment