Monday, December 10, 2012

Mas Dias Bonitas: Clearing Campground

December 2-9, 2012

2nd:   We ended up spending a second night at the RV campground.   Rainy/windy weather made us reluctant to pack up to move, and then unpack and re-settle in the elements.    Missy went and got the cable box we’d refused when we thought we’d only be one night.    Not much good programming on Sundays, though.   I made use of the extra time in range and greatly enjoyed extra sessions of Draw Something with MMG!

3rd:  We divided and conquered chores.   Missy did laundry and I went to the grocery store.    I called Millenicom with the intent of ordering the Verizon wifi (to be shipped to general delivery), but the employee was skeptical that we’d get coverage where we were camped.   So we nixed that.    

We got on the road around 1 pm.    Nice, sunny weather for moving.  Unfortunately, we had some troubles getting back into our spot.    Despite taking on the steep learning curve (pun intended) of driving the RV, we still always manage to be in for nasty surprises.  This time in the form of a heretofore unnoticed rock coming out of the mountain side, which forced me to go off the course I had so carefully plotted.    But, we muddled through.   I also managed to scrape the sides of the rig pretty badly going down the driveway.   Blech.

4th: I biked with Cassie to an officially signed junction of the Rincon Trail.    Missy had done a bit of this previously, having to turn back earlier than hoped for due to hot weather and not enough water.    Luckily, I had partially cloudy skies with a nice breeze.   I still planned ahead and brought plenty of water for myself and Cassie.   This hike is tough!   Steep grades with gravelly surfaces made for a slippery hike   But the scenery was fantastic.  On one of my breaks, I was happy to see some deer bounding across a gulch.  I even got some pictures of a buck as it stopped partially up a facing hillside to stare at me.   About 10 seconds later, I heard the sound of pounding hooves…and 2 baby deer came booking down the trail.   It seemed like they didn’t see me at all.    I kinda let out a little squeak of surprise as they got within 20 feet of me.   Then they changed course and took off down the gulch.    Just after that, Cassie came trotting down the trail.   Thanks to Cassie, for scaring me up some wildlife!

5th-6th: Lazy days, spent enjoying reading and relaxing in the sun.    Also enjoying the usual air show.   I love those jets!  Also, we had some scavenged wood campfires.

7th: Missy wanted to take a drive to check out some of the drops on the Kern River.    There’s a cool picture of some teacup drops in our book.   However, after she wasn’t certain she’d be able to find the put-in exactly, we changed our plans.    Instead, we drove up river to Brush Creek.    This is described in the book as the quintessential California creeking run: smooth granite slides with 10-15 footers into pool drops.    What made it a good hike for us is that there is great parking access and a trail.  (Apparently most of the good CA runs require some heinous hike-ins).   It was bittersweet taking this hike.   On the one hand, it was great to see some whitewater (although low).   We could just imagine how challenging and exhilarating this run would be.    On the other hand…it made me really miss kayaking.   Some days it feels like we’ll never be paddlers again.    Sniff.

Around 4 pm, we got busted by the po-po.    A sheriff deputy knocked on the rig door.    Neither dog managed to bark at the vehicle’s approach.   Nice guard dogs.   Sheesh.    He wanted to advise us of the 14 day limit.   I said I was a little curious that they’d enforce that when clearly there is no demand.   He said that it was partially so people wouldn’t dump their tanks into the creeks just so they could stay longer.    Gross.   Anyway…from what we gathered…the actual authority on enforcing the limit is the National Forest rangers.   So if a ranger comes by, we might have to leave.    Otherwise, we’ll just keep on keepin on here at Clearing Creek.     Oh, the Sheriff warned us about not leaving our genny out.  He said genny thefts are common, and said bolt cutters could make easy work of our genny lock.   Great.   He also said this area is known for hooliganism.   He seemed surprised that we hadn’t come back to camp sometime to discover someone had shot up our camper.    Odd.   We haven’t seen anything toward like that at all.    Of course, this little exchange was enough to fuel many of my anxieties.    Grrr.   I liked it better before knowing these unsavory facts.

8th-9th:  Lazy days.  We tried to do some discussion of future plans, but it’s hard to do with only an atlas and no internet.   I’ll have to do some research on tomorrow’s trip to the internet café.

No comments:

Post a Comment